Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Subterranean Homesick Blues

I'm oddly obsessed by this new Walkmen cover album, Pussy Cats, despite the fact (here I display my ignorance of music older than 1990 or so) that I had no idea before I went and looked it up that this is an almost note by note replication of another album by Harry Nilsson and John Lennon, or even that such an album existed. And, if one believes what one reads on the Internet, the original album may have been recorded in the midst of the single largest drug/booze bender that has ever occurred in the history of time.

Judging by the outfits that the Walkmen are wearing in the promo pictures, they may have come close to that level bender in their own recording.

You can listen to the entire album - the whole damn thing - here.

The Walkmen appear to be playing CMJ in New York next week, although it is unclear how one procures tickets.

No comments: