Saturday, October 14, 2006

How Silly Of Me

One of the things I like about live shows is the way the artists interact with their audiences, whether it's telling a story about a song, or talking about something that happened to them that day, or chatting with somebody in the crowd. If I was at the show, finding a live version brings back the atmosphere. If I wasn't, it helps me imagine what it must have been like.

A great example is the Hold Steady's song "Don't Let Me Explode." Who knew Saint Barbara was the patron saint of landmines, or, "more specifically, not stepping on them"? You can find a live version of this song from Lollapalooza, on ITunes. I can't listen to it without thinking of that bottle of whiskey the band was passing around the stage a couple of weeks ago in NYC.

Of course, since I stalk Radiohead relentlessly, I can think back to a lot of songs with Thom Yorke babbling about whatnot on them. I like the one where he says to two chattering audience members, "Little boys, SHUT UP!" and also the one where he sings tunelessly to himself and the soundman, "Can't hear the f**king piano..." But I think this one is my favorite. It's from pretty early in their career (either 1993 or 1995, I can't figure it out from my crappy labeling system), and it's just so weird to hear Yorke refer to "The Bends" as a new song.

The Bends

Then there's the Frames, whose lead singer has a tendency to tell stories that have pretty much nothing to do with the actual songs, which is quite charming, really.

What Happens When The Heart Just Stops

And finally, there's this song of Jeff Tweedy's I just found on another blog, where the conversation goes:

Tweedy: I think from the sound of it you've had a few drinks.
Audience: (Indistinguishable)
Tweedy: You're judged? You're not judged...Did you say you're judged?
Audience: (Indistinguishable)
Tweedy: Oh, you're on drugs. How silly of me.

Please Tell My Brother

No comments: