Thursday, July 20, 2006

A Flower On My Toe

I once saw the Dandy Warhols at the Bowery Ballroom.

This was several years ago, back when I was already too old for the Bowery Ballroom, but not yet wise enough to know it. I think only a week or so earlier I had been to another show there, which involved four bands, started at like 10 p.m., ended at 2 a.m., and was on a weeknight. I was not a happy camper the next day at work, and decided henceforth to shun the Bowery Ballroom.

Except for the tickets to the Dandy Warhols, which I already had. Another weeknight show.

I was more hopeful for this show than the last. After all, it was just the Dandy Warhols. No three other bands to clog things up. I'd have myself a good time and be home by 1 a.m. LATEST, able to still be sprightly and stuff the next day.

But then they played for three hours. They played every song in their repertoire, and then they played other songs that were not in their repertoire. Their "bass" player ended the night with some silliness that I believe was called "A Flower On My Toe," and of course I was still there, because I am dumb.

I mean, I like the Dandy Warhols, but I don't like them that much.

I distinctly remember the night I happened upon this band's sound. It was right after a work-related event at which I'd seen Carl Quintanilla, then one of People's 50 hottest people, or most eligible bachelors, or something. I'd had a free watermelon martini. I was very impressed with myself. I toddled around the corner to the Virgin Megastore, and treated myself to a little listening station music. It was the Warhols.

It was this song.

Godless

The band appears to have released a new single called "Have A Kick Ass Summer." You can listen to an excerpt here. I don't know what to make of it. They also have some interesting stuff on their Web site, here.

No comments: