Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Pantheon

"The pantheon" is the phrase an ex uses to describe his favorite bands. Ask him how he feels about the Rolling Stones, and he'll say, "They're in the pantheon."

If you go strictly by number of CDs owned, here's who's in my pantheon/favorite song:

4) Cowboy Junkies (9 cds)/Blue Guitar
3) Kronos Quarter (10 cds - tie): it was a tiny bit of a surprise that I have so many of these guys' CDs. I almost never listen to them. Nor do I have a single favorite piece.
3) Ani DiFranco (10 cds - tie)/Amazing Grace
1) Radiohead (11 formal purchases + numerous bootlegs)/The Gloaming

Near pantheon:

Calexico (6)/Tulsa Telephone Book (a cover)
The Frames (6)/God Bless Mom live version
Andrew Bird (5)/I
Wilco (5)/I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
Dandy Warhols (4)/We Used To Be Friends
Magnetic Fields/The Sixths (4)/The Dead Only Quickly Decay
Jurassic 5 (4)/Jurass Finish First
Modest Mouse (4)/Paper Thin Walls
PJ Harvey (3)/Rid Of Me live version
Spoon (3)/Anything You Want
M Ward (3)/Involuntary

(To be fair, I should also list other 3-or-more CD bands whom I snobbishly don't think are going to move up the list: Beta Band, No Doubt, Beastie Boys, Holly Golightly, Peter Gabriel, Hem, Prince, Police/Sting, Simon & Garfunkel/Paul Simon.)

Who's in your pantheon?

No comments: