Sunday, September 24, 2006

It's My Life

This weekend I saw Jesus Camp.

Jesus Camp is a documentary about born-again Christians who take their kids to camp and teach them that ghost stories and Harry Potter are bad, that George Bush is doing the work of God on this earth, and that global warming is an invention of the liberals. It is about how America is increasingly mixing church and state. And it is about the deliberate teaching of intolerance. It is scary.

Afterwards, I went and got Egyptian food in Queens, and I got a drink, and I enjoyed me some life. I'm sure I'll burn eternally in hell.

This is by a guy who operates under the name Muslimgauze. It's hard to tell, from what's out there on the Internet, whether the guy who created this music is a Koran-thumping fundamentalist, or whether he's a peaceful guy from Manchester who likes Mideastern beats. That's really not the point - the point is, he has the right to believe whatever he believes, and make songs titled "Kabul is free under a veil," in peace. And I have the right to listen to it, whether or not I agree with him. And the world will be a better place if it understands that we're both OK people.

Shimmer, Then Disappear

No comments: