Thursday, September 07, 2006

O Canada

I have just returned from western Canada, where I fell wildly in love with Banff. I am now filled with the urge to hike, climb mountains, raft down rivers and fight bears. Go to Banff before it disappears in a wild orgy of suburbia or before U.S. citizens are banned from Canada because of the stupid things our president says.

Having seen this part of Canada, it's easy to understand why there are so many good Canadian bands. With inspiration like this to work with, creating big gorgeous songs must be easy.

I think Nathan Lawr might be my favorite Canadian artist, with the possible exception of the Cowboy Junkies. Sort of in the M. Ward vein, I guess, but less growl-y. It is endlessly frustrating to me that his music isn't available in the States.

What You Lie To Me

Then there's Fiftymen, a blues-influenced band straddling the country/rock border that I just now discovered on the useful if somewhat frustrating maplemusic.com Web site.

After Darkfall

No comments: