Saturday, March 08, 2008

SXSW = Delta Blues?

I'm always glad when SXSW rolls around because - even if I've never been - the wonder of the Internet means that a bunch of new bands pop up onto my radar. But at the same time, it's really all a bit much. Who has time to sort through all that music - most of it pretty much the same old stuff - to find the really fresh new bits? Not me. What typically happens is that six months later, I'll stumble across some band that I'll think is awesome and then realize I have at least a couple of songs on my computer from my SXSW browsings that I never bothered to listen to.

Enter NPR, which has done a little bit of sorting to help me out. Of the stuff they have available to listen to, I'm jamming the most to Honeycut and Magic Arm (like that eastern vibe).

My least favorite of the cuts on here is the Ironweed Project. Whoever Ironweed Project is, they claim to have followed the same path as Robert Johnson to the blues, but are proud of the fact that unlike Johnson, they cleverly avoided having to sell their souls. Don't they understand that that's the whole point???

No comments: