Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Truly Dismayed, Horrified And Amused

In the Virgin Megastore at Union Square over the weekend minding my own business as per usual when all of a sudden the music playing in store intrudes on my consciousness and ... it's a reggae version of a Radiohead song. A pretty terrible one, that got horribly stuck in my head.

Come to find out, it's not the only really bad Radiohead cover album to appear this month. There's also "Rockabye Baby," in which Radiohead songs are turned into xylophone-y melodies for babies. All I'll say about this one is that I'm reminded of a study someone did where they played Radiohead songs to elementary school kids and asked them to draw pictures of whatever came to mind, and most of the kids drew pictures of, like, cars driving off cliffs. Although it's probably better than the Metallica CD this label also has coming out.

And then there's, aaaaahhhh, "A Crunk Tribute To Radiohead," featuring such ingenious titles as "Creepin On Dat Ass" and "Talk Show Hoes." Which I have to say kind of makes me laugh.

You can listen to Rockabye Baby clips, which is probably all you want to listen to anyway, here. The Radiodread I will not post because it looks like they're keeping an eye on the blogs, but Web-savvy folks can find it. And here's one off the crunk album.

No Sizzuruprises

No comments: