Sunday, October 26, 2008

Evil. Evil. Worse. Worse. Catchy. Catchy.

I don't usually post about songs with lyrics that I don't have a prayer of deciphering (well, except for Radiohead) or musicians with long histories about which I know nothing or music types that make me scratch my head (Dubstep? What does that even mean?), but me gon make an exception for The Bug's London Zoo.

As in literature and film, I am in music occasionally a fan of things that carry an apocalyptic, end of the world, doomsday reek, but with a wink and a tongue ever so slightly tucked in cheek (think the sunglasses obsession in Terminator). And this suits.

Take this series of lyrics from "Skeng," pretty much the only lyrics I can decipher on the album unaided. "You don' wanna see me get Evil den...Then...Then...You don wanna see me get Evil...Evil...worse...worse...send for the nurse...nurse...doctor can't fix ya send for the hearse...earse...black."

Or the video, below, to "Poison Dart" - it's a tank, obliterating people with the bass line. It's an army, of grime dubstep warriors. Unh!

And, to take the tongue out of the cheek for a minute, "F**kaz" is an appropriately timed, angry rant about the state of the world:

"Fi all dem f**kin' people who ignore blatant facts just so dem maintain a order beneficial only to themselves..."

Check it.

No comments: