Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Silvery Guitars

I'm a sucker for the sound of a silvery guitar, so Film School is a favorite band.

I associate Film School indelibly with San Francisco. That's where they're from, but the link runs deeper: I first heard them on the rental car radio while sitting in a parking lot waiting for a friend to fetch See's Candy to take back home. Liked them enough to wait through several more songs to hear who they were. Heard them again by random chance on another radio show later that day. Several years later, bought their second album (or is it first? how does one count EPs?) again in San Fran, at a music store near Union Square whose name escapes me, but whose atmosphere does not: indie guy potheads working next to rap guy potheads at the checkout, a used music section that made me very angry because there was so much there that I'd bought full-price, a ratty in-store elevator staffed by yet another indie guy who smelled strooooooongly of pizza, the sound of rain on the roof, which may have been made of corrugated tin.

This is one of the songs I heard on the radio. It's also available on Epitonic, which seems to have somehow got a redesign without me noticing.

Activated

No comments: