Saturday, November 22, 2008

Was/Not Was: Picking The Best Of 2008

Every year I put together a CD for friends of my favorite music of the year. I always feel a little presumptuous about doing it - who am I to tell people what the best music is? Everybody has their own taste - but I do it nonetheless, because of...well...because of my inflated ego?

Anyhow, it's picking time. Over the next couple of weeks, I'm agonizing over whether or not some of the songs on the borderline should go on the playlist. If you like them, tell me so.

This first one I just stumbled across today on someone else's year-end best of list. I know entirely why I like it. It's the beat, which gnaws at my memory familiarly. I was thinking that it must be similar to some Radiohead song, but only at this second, as I was writing this, did I figure out what it reminds me of. The bass beat, the note sequence, the spaces between notes, sounds like a slightly rushed version of the Buena Vista Social Club song Chan Chan (video below - speaking of - Ah! What a song).

The Oaks - Masood



No comments: